MANU BIRD WATCHING PROGRAM 11 DAYS
MANU BIRD WATCHING PROGRAM
Manú stands at the top of the international birder’s agenda. Complex patterns of biogeography and topography across many different ecotones have blessed the country with some of the greatest diversity and density of birds on earth. This coupled with its rich history and culture makes Peru a must see destination for the intrepid birder. Approximately 1,792 bird species are known to occur in Peru, which corresponds to 18.5% of all known bird species on earth, and 45% of all neo-tropical birds. In fact, only Columbia has a higher diversity of bird species. Many species new to science have been discovered in Peru (including from the Manu Park region), and the majority of these still await formal description. Unlike other top-ranking neo-tropical birding destinations, such as Ecuador or Costa Rica, Peru still has extensive tracts of undisturbed habitats. Consequently, most reputable bird tour companies have Peru on their menu of holidays birding.
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level Moderate
- Group Size Medium Group
Things you should bring for the Manu Trip:
- mosquito repellent
- long sleeved shirts (cotton is better)
- cotton socks
- rain gear
- long pants
- bathing suit
- hiking shoes
- binoculars (you can also rent them from)
- camera and films (400 and 200 ASA)
- plastic bags for clothes and camera etc.
- personal things (soap, toilet paper. towel etc.)
- hat (or handkerchief)
- sun blocker, sun glasses
- sleeping bag (can also be rented)
- flashlight (with spare bulb and batteries)
- day pack
- rubber boots ( only in rainy season, Jan. -April))
For more information and details how to make a booking please E-mail Picchu Machu Adventure an Ecological Tour Operator in Cusco Peru at:
- Specialized Manu birding guide
- Food (3 meals per day, vegetarian on request)
- Private bus and boat transportation
- Camping equipment, mosquito netting (except your
- personal sleeping bag)
- Entrance to Macaw Clay Lick, Mammal Salt Lick
- Medical supplies
- Radio communication
- Flight out (to Cusco)
- The birding program is available with the nights camping or in lodges.
- Your only extra expenses will be first breakfast,
- water for the first day,
- soft drinks,
- alcoholic drinks,
- tips and the last dinner
- Moderate First day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: CUSCO TO PILLAHUATA:
First day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: CUSCO TO PILLAHUATA:
Early in the morning we begin in Huacarpay lake (30 min. from Cusco) where we will see a variety of high Andean birds. Here we look for Wren-like Rushbird, Many-colored Rush-Tyrant, Puna Ibis, Andean Gull, Andean Negrito, Aplomado Falcon, American Kestrel, Cinereous Harrier, Red-Backed Hawk, Black-Chested Buzzard-Eagle and Chilean Flamingo. The impressive endemic birds around this lake are the Bearded Mountaineer, Rufous-Fronted Canastero and Streak-Fronted Thornbird.
After this stop we continue the trip. While driving through the Andes we always stop, when we see some flock of birds. Acjanaco at 3450 meters is a good place for lunch and to start Birdwatching down the road. These are the common ones: Gray-breasted Mountain Toucan, Andean Guan, Hooded and Scarlet Bellied Mountain Tanagers, a wide variety of Hummingbirds, Collared Jay, Mountain Cacique, Fruiteaters and Flycatchers. The camp site for the night is in Pillahuata at 2743 m.
- Moderate Second day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: EXPLORING AROUND PILLAHUATA:
Second day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: EXPLORING AROUND PILLAHUATA:
On this day we explore the trails and walk along the road increasing our birding list.
- Moderate Third day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: PILLAHUATA TO SAN PEDRO:
Third day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: PILLAHUATA TO SAN PEDRO:
On this day we go down the road into the Cloud Forest where the chances for seeing birds are very high, especially for Tanagers, Redstars, Hummingbirds, Flycatchers, Furnariids and others
- Moderate Fourth day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: EXPLORING AROUND SAN PEDRO:
Fourth day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: EXPLORING AROUND SAN PEDRO:
Early in the morning we go to observe – from the special made platform – the famous Cock of the Rocks at the lek, and afterwards we explore the trails increasing our birding list.
- Moderate Fifth day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: SAN PEDRO TO AMAZONIA LODGE:
Fifth day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: SAN PEDRO TO AMAZONIA LODGE:
Continuing down the road towards Atalaya (650m) we have the chance to see the Amazonian Umbrellabird, Versicolored Barbet, Black and Chestnut Eagle and the beautifull Quetzals, and many other birds of different species.
- Moderate Sixth day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: EXPLORING AMAZONIA LODGE:
Sixth day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: EXPLORING AMAZONIA LODGE:
There are many good trails for birding purposes around Amazonia Lodge. Situated at the foothills of the Andes this place puts together the lowland birds and upper tropical birds.
- Moderate Seventh day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: AMAZONIA TO MANU BIOSTATION:
Seventh day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: AMAZONIA TO MANU BIOSTATION:
On this day we travel by boat down the Upper Madre de Dios River and arriving to the junction with the Manu River where the Madre de Dios river begins. Birdwatching traveling by boat is very good, there are Vultures, Macaws, Herons, Egrets, Cormorants, Terns and others. We camp on the covered platform of Manu BioStation.
- Moderate Eighth day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: EXPLORING MANU BIOSTATION:
Eighth day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: EXPLORING MANU BIOSTATION:
Early in the morning we walk half an hour to the Blanco Macaw Clay Lick and watch as flocks of Parakeets, Parrots and Macaws arrive to eat the clay at the lick. In the afternoon we go to Blanco Lake looking for Giant River Otters and lake birds like Hoatzins, Kingfishers, Flycatchers, Grebes and others.
On the Tower of Camungo Lake – 42 m high!
- Moderate Ninth day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: EXPLORING AROUND BIOSTATION:
Ninth day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: EXPLORING AROUND BIOSTATION:
Today we explore the bamboo trails searching for Peruvian Recurvebill , Rufous-headed Woodpecker, White-cheeked Tody Tyrant Manu Antbird, and other Bamboo specialists.
- Moderate Tenth day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: EXPLORING MAQUISAPAYOJ MAMMAL SALT LICK:
Tenth day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: EXPLORING MAQUISAPAYOJ MAMMAL SALT LICK:
Today we walk on the trails around Maquisapayoj, increasing our birding list. This night we spend at the platform close to the mammal salt lick where we have a big chance to see Tapirs, Deers, and Pacas (rodent).
- Moderate Eleventh day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: MAQUISAPAYOJ TO CUSCO:
Eleventh day on MANU BIRD WATCHING: MAQUISAPAYOJ TO CUSCO:
Early on the morning we come back to Boca Manu Airstrip and fly back to Cusco (45 min.). Transfer to your hotel. End of service.